On Thursday, March 2, the Birmingham Branch of ASCE hosted the Winter Section Meeting for engineering professionals from across the State of Alabama. The meeting was held at the Barber Motorsports Park Museum, which provided an exciting backdrop and offered beautiful views of the track during the day’s events.
Speakers from across the state, including one from Washington, D.C., were on hand to educate attendees on a wide range of topics. Presentations included an overview of the Barber Motorsports Park, an update on Qualifications-Based Selection (QBS), a discussion on dam safety and efforts to establish a Safe Dams Program in Alabama, a project update on the new Mobile River Bridge, a lesson on using drones in construction, an update from ALDOT regarding the Central Business District and other projects, a session on large scale runoff and erosion control practices at the Auburn University Erosion and Sediment Control Testing Facility, and a 1.5-hour Government Relations University presented by Aaron Castelo, Director of State and Local Government Relations with ASCE in Washington, D.C.
- Engineering Practice in Alabama – QBS Update – Joe Meads
- What we do and don’t know about Alabama’s dams and why it matters! Part 1 – Clay Campbell
- What we do and don’t know about Alabama’s dams and why it matters! Part 2 – Shelia Montgomery Mills
- I-10 Mobile River Bridge and Bayway Widening Project – Ashley Zellner (Unavailable)
- Drones in Construction: Site Work Managment – Hunter Cole (Unavailable)
- I-59 and I-20 Central Business District (CBD) Interchange and Bridge Replacement Project – DeJarvis Leonard
- ASCE Government Relations – Aaron Castelo
- Evaluation and Enhancement of Runoff Control Practices Using Large Scale Testing Techniques – Wesley Donald.pdf (Unavailable)
More than 20 door prizes, from gift cards to drones, were awarded, and a select group of early registrants also had an opportunity to participate in Hot Laps around the track once the meeting concluded.
The meeting was a resounding success with over 120 professionals in attendance, 9 exhibitors, 7 additional corporate sponsors, and one title sponsor. There was representation from all 6 branches within the Alabama Section. Over $2,500.00 was raised for The Dan Turner Scholarship Fund from profits from the meeting.
The Alabama Section would like to thank all of the exhibitors and sponsors: Ready Mix USA (Title Sponsor); Alabama Asphalt Pavement Association; Forterra; Sain Associates; McGiffert and Associates, LLC; Mott MacDonald; Alabama 811; Alabama Graphics; Sunshine Supplies, Inc.; Belgard; Wildland Services; Walker Associates, Inc.; Tensar; Parrot Structural Services, LLC; Barge Waggoner Sumner & Cannon, Inc.; ADS; Geopier; and Westervelt Ecological Services. Thank you also to the Winter Section Meeting Planning Committee for all of their hard work toward making this a successful and informative meeting.
The Alabama Section looks forward to seeing everyone at the upcoming Summer Section Meeting on July 17-19 in Orange Beach and next year’s Winter Section Meeting in Montgomery!
Photos from the Event
Photos were provided by Michael Hora, Alabama Section Photographer
Video of a Hot Lap
Video provided by Eli Borrelli, Alabama Section Videographer